Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Change of Mindset

Watching the international news this morning, I saw more evidence of how the images we receive of many foreign nations provide a horribly simplistic and negative view of the country itself and the people within.  For instance, if I didn't know any better, I'd think that Mexico was laden with gunmen and cartel members at every turn.  Thankfully, having travelled in Mexico, I know the people, the customs, and the culture which allows me to put those news stories in context.  It seems a very similar process is occurring right now with regard to the Middle East.  In America, we are inundated with negative stories of the Middle East and of Arabs and of Muslims.  However, this culture has a multitude of attributes which are endearing as well as gracious.  As a visitor in their country, I feel it is not my place to judge (even if I didn't like something), rather it is my place to understand, build bridges, and even embrace.  For instance, here, it is common for a businessman to walk out of a meeting in order to take care of his family and it is expected that other businessmen respect that family comes before business.  In fact, here, God, family, and then business...that's the priority.  It is deemed rude to engage in business without first inquiring into the other person's well-being, their family's well-being, or even perhaps just to exchange niceties and/or have a discussion about soccer.  Afterward, then you can ask the business related question.  This goes against much of which we are accustomed to in our fast-paced notion of: "We must get this done...and yesterday!"  Indeed, if commitment to God and/or family is necessary before business, then it is God and the family which will prevail.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept.  I'm still trying to understand this as those of you who know me well know that I can be rather highstrung and rather headstrong (we'll get to headstrong in another post!!!).  I believe that this adventure will not only be one in which I travel to tourist sites and see sand dunes and such, but one in which I learn how to relax a bit, focus on what is important (such as commitment to one's inner faith, one's family, and one's friends) before getting "down to business."  In the end, I may just find my inner schway, schway.

Along those lines, today's agenda includes breakfast and chatting with colleages at the pool.  Indeed, we were instructed by the powers that be to enjoy the holiday.  Gone, it appears, are the days of incessant in-services prior to the start of school and, in its place is an explicit reminder to live each moment as it comes.  What a simple, yet profound lesson for us all.

1 comment:

  1. Well written. More important, your insight should be something for us all to ponder.

    ReplyDelete